Phishing attacks from cyber attackers come by using deceptive emails to get your customers information. They spoof an email address familiar to the recipient and request exploitable data to be emailed back. They target small business employees specifically, according to the internet security company Symantec.
Whether you sell products at a store or through a website, technological security is more important than ever.
- Running anti-virus, anti-malware and/or anti-spyware software is your first line of defense.
- Always use a secure network.
- Invest in the latest encryption software and keep it updated.
- Create strong passwords.
- Verify PCI Compliance - If your company is handling credit card transactions, be sure the way you’re storing, processing, and transmitting cardholder information is compliant with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
- Avoid keeping any hard copy customer Credit Card information. If you do, you are probably out of PCI compliance.
Be careful and be safe.